QuickBooks Read Only Error
QuickBooks is useful accounting software, allowing users to perform a variety of tasks on a single platform. Though it is efficient software, some errors can interrupt your work. QuickBooks Read only error – This file is set to read-only. Try again with a different file name is something like that.
What Is QuickBooks Read Only Error?
It is an error that allows you only to read a certain file and you cannot edit that. Sometimes, files become read-only because of the media kind they’re collected on.
In that case, usually, that can be fixed by changing the quality in file explorer, but when your file can not come out of the read-only mode even after changing the quality and replacing the company file with a backup of company file or portable file, it is called a read-only error. Users can see the following error message on the screen
[Company_Name].qbw This file is set to read-only. Try again with a different file name.
What Causes The Read Only QuickBooks Error?
There can be several reasons behind QuickBooks Read only error QuickBooks. The most usual reasons are mentioned below.
- It can happen if a file set in a read-only setup is preventing all types of transformation and edits.
- You can face the QuickBooks read-only error if your QuickBooks mistakenly has downloaded payroll updates and fails to uninstall updates on Windows user permission account or user control settings.
- When it was transferred from CD-ROM, the default status was set as read-only; you can face this issue.
- This issue can also occur if a previous user adds the read-only status to the file and saves it.
How can you understand that your QuickBooks has a read only error?
You may face different problems because of the QuickBooks Read only error. Some of them are mentioned below –
- Your QuickBooks desktop may not work
- Windows operating system may get frozen often
- Your computer will take much more time to read the inputs you are giving through your mouse and keyboard.
- QuickBooks program may get frozen
- Windows operating system may crash while working on it.
Things to consider before applying any troubleshooting methods for QuickBooks read-only error
While resolving QuickBooks Read only error, there are a few things you should check and keep in mind.
- Check to see if your Windows system is up to date.
- Create a backup of your QuickBooks company file.
- Check to see if the drivers are updated.
- Don’t forget to verify the active status of your QuickBooks program
- Update your QuickBooks to the latest version.
- Make sure that the antivirus and Windows firewall are not interrupting your QuickBooks program.
How to Solve QuickBooks Read only error?
There are a few solutions you can apply to troubleshoot the read-only error in the QuickBooks desktop.
Instructions To Fix QuickBooks Read Only Error
There are a few options for dealing with this issue. The basic solutions are given below
- Run your QuickBooks As Administrator
- Remove the Read-Only Attribute When you face the error
- Open The Original File And Restore It.
- Remove The Read-Only Attribute In your Windows
- Rename The Original File and restore It To the Same Location
Troubleshooting Methods To Fix Quickbooks Read Only Error
Method One: Run your QuickBooks As Administrator
You can run QuickBooks as an administrator to solve the issue, following the steps mentioned below.
- First, close QuickBooks
- Right-click on the icon of QuickBooks on your computer screen.
- You’ll be able to see a list there. Select properties and the properties window will now open.
- Head towards Compatibility tab
- At the bottom of that tab, go to Privileged level.
- Select ‘Run this program as an administrator
- Then, click on OK
- Now try to open and restore the company file.
If the issue is not solved by now, try the next method.
Method Two: Remove the Read Only Attribute When you face the error
To remove the read-only attribution, follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, go to the Save Company File As’ window and hit Ok.
- Then, right-click on the company file.
- Go to ‘Properties,’ where you can find a list of properties.
- You’ll now be able to see the General tab window.
- Uncheck the ‘Read-only’ box.
- Then, select OK and choose ‘Save.’
- Now the company file will be replaced with the currently restored file.
- Now you’ll be able to solve the read-only error
Method Three: Open The Original File And Restore It
Open the previous file version in Quickbooks and try to restore the backup or portable version.
Method Four: Remove The Read Only Attribute In your Windows
- Open Windows Explorer
- Navigate the location where the company file was saved.
- Right-click on the company file.
- From the list, choose ‘Properties.
- Now, You will be able to see the read-only box at the bottom of the general tab. Uncheck the ‘Read-only’ box and hit OK.
- Now, try to restore the company file.
Method Five: Rename The Original File and restore It To Same Location
- Head towards the location where you’ve saved the company file.n
- Right-click on the original file where you can find the option “Rename.”
- Rename the file as (Company file)old.qbw.
- Now, try to restore the company file.
QuickBooks Error Support Service Desk
QuickBooks Read only error can stop your QuickBooks bookkeeping work. It not only prevents you from editing your file but also can slow down your QuickBooks program. That’s why it’s important to troubleshoot it.
Here we have discussed all the possible troubleshooting methods and the problem should be solved if you follow the methods properly. But if still your issue persists, you can seek help from the QuickBooks error support expert team.