QuickBooks Error 6150
If you see a warning QuickBooks Error 6150 while operating QuickBooks desktop. Use troubleshooting instructions provided in this help guide for Error code 6150 in QuickBooks desktop.
What is QuickBooks Error 6150 Couldn’t open company File?
QuickBooks Error 6150 Could not open company file blocks users from getting access to the company file. You can encounter this error while opening or working on your company file. This QuickBooks error indicates that your company file has some issues that should be fixed accordingly.
Why does QuickBooks Error 6150 occur?
Several reasons can generate this issue. Some of the key reasons are listed here.
- If your QuickBooks is not properly installed on your system, you can face this kind of error
- If your Windows registry files are damaged anyhow, you can face this issue
- It can occur because of any virus or malware attack
- You can face this issue if you are trying to save a QuickBooks Macintosh file using your QuickBooks Windows
- You can face this issue if you have mistakenly entered an incorrect extension for the QuickBooks file.
- There is a chance that your QuickBooks company file is damaged
- This error can occur if you try to open a portable file without opening the software
- This error can occur if your QuickBooks-related files get deleted.
Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error 6150
It is a very common error that QuickBooks users often encounter. Though it is a complex error, fortunately, there are some troubleshooting methods that you can apply to fix this error. Here are the most beneficial and useful troubleshooting methods.
But, before starting, you have to check a few things.
Things to check before applying any complex troubleshooting method
- If you face this error because of the wrong file extension, you have to change the file extension and save it with the right extension. First, check if it is ok or not
- Make sure that the QuickBooks company file is initiated on another system
- Make sure you have updated the software to its latest version
- Use a good antivirus on the system where you are using the quickbook
After rechecking all these points mentioned above, you have to undergo some troubleshooting methods if you are still having the issue.
Method 1: Checking for CryptoWall
This error is mostly caused by the CryptoWall virus and other malicious software. You have to follow the steps mentioned below to ensure that any malicious virus does not cause the issue.
- Go to the Windows start menu located at the bottom right of your computer screen
- Go to the search bar and type file explorer, and open it
- Go to the C:drive and open the QuickBooks folder located there.
- Look for the files that have the words like decrypt or instructions.
If you can find these words in any file description, it is sure that CryptoWall or other malicious viruses cause the problem. In that case, you have to reach out to your antivirus provider.
Method 2: Craft a new QuickBooks company file from scratch
You can fix this issue by crafting a new company file from scratch. For doing this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, open the QuickBooks desktop
- Head towards the no company open window and then make a new company
- Go to the QuickBooks setup window. Here you will have to provide the required information
- Select the Create a company option
- After that, create customers, charts of accounts (COA), and services.
After using this method, your problem should be solved, but go to the next method if you are still having the issue.
Method 3: Restore from Backup
If previous steps don’t work for you, you are advised to restore the QuickBooks company file from your backup. Here are the steps for that.
- Go to QuickBooks and click on the file option
- Navigate to open or restore company option
- Next, select the restore a backup copy option and click on next.
- Now, as you are backing up from local backup, select the local backup option and hit next.
- Opt for the location of your company file backup from the drop-down menu.
- Go for the backup that has a .qbb extension
- Now, tap on the open option by hitting the next tab
- Choose your preferred location to restore the backup file from the drop-down menu
- Type the company file name in the file name field and ensure that the file is saved in .qbw format.
- Now, tap on yes to confirm the process
- Finally, hit yes to confirm deleting the entire file.
Method 4: Using QuickBooks file doctor tool
QuickBooks file doctor tool is an amazing tool that is used to find the issues and fix them. You can use this tool to fix this issue. Here are the steps for doing that.
- First, install the QuickBooks file doctor tool and launch it on your system. You have to wait until you can see any pop-up of no company open on your screen.
- Now, move to the files and utility tab
- Make sure to click on the repair file option and network problems option
- A dialog box will now be on the screen, and you have to click on the ok tab
- A file doctor will now start the application with administration rights. You have to click on the dialog box on the Yes tab.
- Now, you will see a wrench icon to open the QuickBooks file doctor application. Click on the continue tab.
- Enter the credentials now and log into the file
- The file doctor will now start to repair the file
- Select the file from the advanced settings
- Click on the next tab
- Wait until the system prompts. Once it is done, you need to open the file and check if the issue is sorted or not.
Method 5: Open a sample company file installed locally
You can try to open a sample company file that is installed locally to check the issue. Here are the steps for doing that:
- First, open your QuickBooks without the company file
- Now, choose open sample file
- Next, select any company file and click on ok
- Hit yes when the system asks you to update the sample file
If the sample files open successfully, it indicates some issue with your company file, and you have to repair it.
Method 6: Using Auto data recovery (ADR)
You need to go for the auto data recovery tool and fix the QuickBooks error 6150 you are facing. Here are the steps for doing that:
First, generate a new folder with the name of QBTest
- In the next step, you have to locate the .tlg files in the company file folder
- After it is done, copy the .tlg file from the company file folder and paste it into the QBTest folder.
- After that, go inside the company data folder and open the QBAuto Data Recovery folder
- Copy the QBW.adr file from the QuickBooks auto data recovery folder and paste it into the QBTest folder.
- Remove .adr from the end of the filename and then open the QuickBooks software.
- You have to open the company file from the QBTest folder within the software.
- Go to the File tab, and from there, go to utilities.
- Select the QuickBooks verify data utility option to check the issue.
- Now, replace the company file in your QuickBooks data folder with the company file from the QBTest folder.
- Try to open your company file now and see whether the problem is solved or not.
Contact QuickBooks Error Support
If all the troubleshooting methods mentioned above don’t work for you, it is advised to contact QuickBooks error support for further assistance. They will guide you on how to solve QuickBooks Error 6150. Make sure to keep your purchase details with you while calling.
Hope this article was helpful to you and you have successfully solved the error.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the most common cause behind the QuickBooks error 6150?
The most common cause behind the QuickBooks error 6150 is a virus or malware attack. That’s why you can try to remove all the malware from your system to solve the issue.
2. What are the limitations of Quickbooks auto data recovery?
- It is not usable with QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise
- It is not available for the accountant version.
- The file should not exceed 1.5 GB, and it is one of its most important limitations.
- To use this, your QuickBooks desktop should be updated to its latest version.
3. What is the QuickBooks file doctor tool?
It is an amazing tool developed by Intuit. This tool allows users to identify the error and fix it. This tool can fix almost every error that users face with the software. In the versions above you can fix the error using the QuickBooks tool hub 2022
4. Should antivirus be used with QuickBooks desktop?
You must use an antivirus on the system where you have your QuickBooks. Most of the errors in QuickBooks are caused by viruses and malware. To avoid them, you should have an antivirus.