QuickBooks Error 6000
What is QuickBooks Error 6000 & How to Fix it?
Table of Contents
Errors can occur in any software and you can face some at times in QuickBooks too. One error that users may face while opening a company file is QuickBooks Error 6000. Users would be unable to proceed with their work without resolving this issue. Here is a guide on how you can fix this issue.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 6000
Some probable causes of QuickBooks error 6000 are as below:
- QuickBooks has not been installed properly
- There is a security system or a firewall present on your system that is blocking the internet connection and interrupting QuickBooks
- The company file is corrupted
- The network connection of your system has not been configured correctly
- QuickBooks file is corrupted
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000 or -6000
The resolution to the QuickBooks error 6000 will be different for two different situations. We have a list of solutions for the error – 6000 segregated under these two situations. Read the instructions below carefully to understand which situation you are in and then proceed with the solution.
Use QuickBooks Tool Hub To Repair QuickBooks File Damages like Error 6000
Situation 1: You are trying to open the company file over the network & You Get QuickBooks Error 6000
If you are trying to access a company file that has been saved on a different system other than the host system and are prompted with the QuickBooks error 6000, then here are some possible fixes for it.
Solution 1. Rename the .TLG and .ND files and rescan or restart the database server manager
The .TLG and .ND has configured QuickBooks files that let it access a company file when it is in multi-user or network mode. If these files are corrupted then you will be prompted with the QuickBooks error 6000. These files need to be renamed. When you rename these files, it will recreate once you rescan and when you open the company file, with the help of QuickBooks data server management tool. Here is what you need to do:
- Open the folder that has the company file
- Look for files that have the same name as your company file but with extensions.TLG and .ND. They will look like this – company_file.qbw.nd,company_file.qbw.tlg
- Right-click on these files one at a time
- For both, the files click on Rename and simply add the word OLD at the end of each file
Once this is done, you need to restart the DBSM and rescan QuickBooks files. Follow the below steps:
- Click on Start
- Go to All Programs
- Next, click on the QuickBooks icon and go to QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Click on Scan Folder
- Next, highlight the folder with data and then click on Check
- Ensure that the company files are present in the box that says QuickBooks Company Files Located
- Now try and open the company files
Next restart QuickBooks and login to company files to see if the problem is solved.
Solution 2. Open the QuickBooks company file locally
If QuickBooks error 6000 is in the location file, then this solution will help. The file can either be corrupted or its location is interfering with the system path. Here is what you can do:
- Go to the folder that has the QuickBooks company file stored
- Look for the .QBW extension file
- Right-click on the file and copy it or just select the file and press Ctrl + C to copy the file
- Go to the desktop and paste this file here either by clicking right and using the paste option or by using the Ctrl + V keys
- You need to open QuickBooks by holding the Ctrl key, this will guide you to No Company Open home window
- When you are here, you need to click on the Open or restore an existing file company and locate the QuickBooks company file that you earlier copied on the desktop
Now open this file to see if you can access the company file. If the problem persists, you can move to a different solution.
Solution 3: Check if hosting is activated on any other computer other than the host machine
The hosting mode in QuickBooks lets a host computer control the access of the QuickBooks company files. The QuickBooks Hosting Mode must be turned ON only on the host machine to permit other computers to have access to the QuickBooks company files. All the other computers other than the host computer that want access to the company files must keep this mode turned OFF.
- Press the F2 key to open the Item Info window
- Look for the Local Web Server check if the hosting is ON the feature should be off for other computers connected to the host server including yours
Solution 4: Try switching to UNC path as an alternative to a mapped device
- Open QuickBooks and then press Ctrl key to Run as Administrator
- Keep holding the Ctrl key till you get the No Company Open Window
- Click on File and from the options that you get to click on Open or Restore Company
- This will open a new window where you need to select Open a Company File and then proceed by clicking Next
- Now click on Network tab and go to where your company file is located
- Open the company file to see if you can access it now
- For those who cannot find the location where the company file is saved check the Set Folders Permission – look for the company file and then open
Solution 5: Shut Down All Running Tasks
To shut down all tasks related to QuickBooks you must be logged in as the Administrator
- Press the Ctrl + Alt + Delete or Del keys together on the keyboard to open Task Manager
- Go to the User tab to look for all the active processes
- Click to highlight all the active processes and then click on End Task
Now you must switch to multi-user and then try and open the company file to see if this solution has worked for you.
Solution 6: Open a sample file to check if QuickBooks Software has been installed properly
- If QuickBooks is not installed properly then you will not be able to access the company files. You can check this by opening a sample file:
- Go to No Company Open and then click on the Sample File tab and open the Sample File list
If the sample file is opening, then the QuickBooks software is fine, then the software is running fine and you will have to try a different solution. However, if the sample file doesn’t open, then QuickBooks software hasn’t been installed right and you will have to rectify this by installing QuickBooks desktop properly.
Solution 7: Check the Firewall or Antivirus installed in your system
The anti-virus or firewall installed in your system might block the connection to QuickBooks files. You can try and configure your firewall or the anti-virus installed on your system, so it lets QuickBooks establish a connection with your system.
Situation II: You are Opening the File Locally & Getting QuickBooks Error 6000
If you are trying to open the company file on a system on which the QuickBooks software has been originally been installed and are confronted with QuickBooks error 6000 then here are some possible solutions to it:
Solution 1: Restore from Backup
If the problem lies in the company file, then restoring it from a backup may fix the issue. If users face an issue while trying to get a backup here is what you need to do:
Stop multi-hosting users option
- Go to Company file
- In the File menu from the options that you get in the drop-down select Utilities
- This will give you more options and you need to locate Stop Hosting Multi-User Access and click on it
- This will open Stop Hosting Multi-User Access in a new window – you need to click Yes on it
- Close the company file window too
The path to the company file should be less than 210 characters
- Go to company file and copy the path by clicking on the address bar
- Paste it on a notepad to determine the characters – you need to count the spaces too
- If it is required to be changed and make the necessary changes
Once you have performed steps provided to fix QuickBooks error 6000, try to restore the company file once again.
Solution 2: Rename the .TLG and .ND files
The .TLG and .ND files are important parts of the QuickBooks company file and are also referred to as setup files. Users are able to access company files in multi-user mode or in a network because of these two data files. If either of the files is corrupted you may be unable to open the company files. Renaming it will help in getting access to the company file:
- Go to the folder where the QuickBooks file is saved
- Look for the files with the extension .TLG and .ND. They will look like this company_file.qbw.tlg and company_file.qbw.nd
- Right-click on the files and rename them. Just add the word OLD at the end of the files
- Now exit and open the QuickBooks software and the company file once again
Contact QABUFFS QuickBooks Experts to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000
Follow these fixes to solve the QuickBooks error 6000; if you are still unable to figure out a solution for it, then call on our toll-free number for QuickBooks support +1-888-300-6790.