QuickBooks Error 12157
What is QuickBooks Error 12157 & How to Fix it?
QuickBooks Error 12157 is a software error caused when you may be updating the software program. It is a part of the 12000 series error. Once the error occurs, the update will fail, and you may not be able to access your QuickBooks account till the error is resolved. You may lose time that could otherwise be used to complete your accounting work.
The error may, however, be useful in bringing to your attention a problem with certain damaged files on your computer, poor internet settings or incorrect system settings.
Web connectivity is considered to be the major cause of QuickBooks Error 12157. This problem occurs in Windows OS with Microsoft Win32Internet which is also known as the WinInet API. This API is responsible for providing swift access to protocols like HTTP, FTP, and Gopher.
When the API does not function properly for some reason, you end up seeing this error during an update.
Some of the reasons why the API may not function properly, and you may see QuickBooks error 12157 are:
- Incorrect system date and time
- The problem may arise from firewall or internet settings
- You may have more than one version of QuickBooks on your system
The following solutions have helped several users get rid of Error 12157 in QuickBooks and get back to working on their QuickBooks software. Make sure that your internet connection is working properly without errors.
If you have a problem with the internet, then wait until the internet works properly before you start troubleshooting the error.
Steps to fix QuickBooks Error 12157
Solution 1 – Check the system date and time
To set the date and time on your Windows computer, you can click directly on the time displayed on the bottom right of the screen. Alternatively, Windows 10 users can click on ‘Start’ and go to ‘Settings’. Then click on ‘Time and Language’ and choose ‘Date and Time’ from the options.
Your time and time zone can be set automatically by Windows OS. If the date and time are not set to automatic, then toggle the button next to them to ensure that they can be set automatically. Open QuickBooks and check if the update completes successfully.
Solution 2 – Restore Advances Settings in Internet Explorer
Users who have Internet Explorer set up as their default browser should reset the browser settings to default so that the update can complete without problems. It is possible that you may have customized the browser settings in ways that may have restricted the update process.
- Close QuickBooks and open Internet Explorer
- Click on the Settings icon (looks like a cog) on the top right of the screen
- From the dropdown menu, click on Internet Options
- This will open a small window with several tabs on the top. Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Click on ‘Restore Advanced Settings’
- Click on ‘Apply’ then click on ‘OK’ to close the window
- Close Internet Explorer and open QuickBooks. Allow the update to complete and check if the error has been resolved.
Solution 3 – Firewall/Third-Party Application Configuration
If your firewall is configured in a way that will restrict QuickBooks from completing the update, then you may see the QuickBooks Error 12157. To resolve this problem, you must use QuickBooks File Doctor which is a part of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. It will automatically configure the firewall ports for you.
- Close QuickBooks
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub if it is not already installed on your system. Make sure it is downloaded to a folder or a location that you can easily access. Typically, downloads are stored on the Downloads folder or the Desktop.
- Double click on the downloaded file to install the tool hub. Once the installation is complete, open the tool hub by double-clicking on the icon on your desktop.
- Click on the tab which says ‘Company File issues’. Run the QuickBooks file doctor. It may take a few minutes for the file doctor to fix any problems with the firewall ports. Once the ports are configured, reopen QuickBooks and complete the update process. Check if the error persists.
If the automatic configuration of ports is not successful, then you may have to manually configure the ports to allow the updates to go through & Check if Error 12157 still shows up.
- Click on Start and type Windows Firewall in the search box.
- Open Windows Firewall from the results and click on Advanced Settings
- Right-click on ‘Inbound Rules’ then click on ‘New Rule’
- Then choose ‘Port’ and click on ‘Next’
- On the window that comes up next, make sure that the radio button next to ‘TCP’ is selected. Then you will be required to enter the specific ports which need access according to your QuickBooks version.
QuickBooks Desktop 2017 – 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
QuickBooks Desktop 2018 – 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
QuickBooks Desktop versions 2019 onwards, dynamic ports are used. The port format for these versions is 8019, xxxxx.xxxxx. In order to find out the actual port number, you must go to the Start menu and search for the QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Click on the Database Server Manager from the results and go to the tab, which says, ‘Port Monitor’.
Look for your QuickBooks version and make a note of the port number assigned to it. This is the port number to be used in the ‘Specific local ports’ section of the Windows Firewall.
- Once you enter the port number, click on ‘Next’
- Choose ‘Allow the Connection’ and click on ‘Next’
- This will create a rule. Enter a name for the new rule like ‘QBPorts’
- Click on ‘Finish’
Next, you will be required to add a list of files to your Firewall exceptions. These include:
|AutoBackupExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|Dbmlsync.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|DBManagerExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileManagement.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileMovementExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QuickBooksMessaging.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBW32.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBDBMgrN.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBGDSPlugin.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBServerUtilityMgr.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBCFMonitorService.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBLaunch.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBUpdate.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate|
|IntuitSyncManager.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Sync|
|OnlineBackup.exe||C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Online Backup|
- Follow the same steps as mentioned earlier to reach the point where you click on ‘New Rule’
- Then select ‘Program’ and click on ‘Next’
- Choose the option that says ‘This program path’ then click on ‘Browse’
- Use the above chart as a reference to find the files one by one. Click on ‘Next’
- Choose ‘Allow the Connection’ and click on ‘Next’
- If you see a prompt then make sure that all profiles are marked and click on ‘Next’
- Name the firewall exception you created and click on Finish.
Follow the same steps to create outbound rules as well. The only change is instead of Inbound Rule you will be choosing the option that says ‘Outbound Rule’.
Once the ports and files have been added on Windows Firewall, try completing the update on QuickBooks to check if the problem has been solved. The settings mentioned above are for Windows Firewall only. If you have an antivirus program on your computer and the firewall settings of your antivirus program are causing a problem then you may have to allow the same exceptions on your antivirus firewall as well.
The steps will differ based on the antivirus you use. You can refer to a manual or talk to a representative in the antivirus company for steps to create firewall exceptions. The same files in the chart above must be added to the exceptions.
Solution 4: Restore your Windows Computer to the last known good configuration
Note: This step will remove all data and files which would have been created on your Windows computer since the last backup. A system restore is possible only if you regularly create a backup of your computer’s files.
If there are no recent backups, then this will not be possible. Skip this step if you do not have a recent backup available.
- Type ‘Control Panel’ in the search box on your taskbar
- Click on Control panel from the results and type ‘Recovery’ in the Control Panel search box
- Click on ‘Recovery’ from the results and select ‘Open System Restore’
- The System Restore Files and Settings box will open. Click on ‘Next’
- Choose the restore point from the list of restore points available. Then click on ‘Scan for affected programs’
- You will see a list of items that will be deleted if you proceeded with the system restore. Go through the list and if you are okay with the items being deleted then click on ‘Close’.
- Select ‘Next’ and click on ‘Finish’.
After the restoration is complete, check if the problem has been solved.
Contact QuickBooks Error Support Desk for Quick & Easy Support for Error 12157
The above solutions are the most common ways in which this problem has been resolved. You can call our QuickBooks support team to solve this problem and help you get back to your regular accounting as early as possible. We have a team of experienced QuickBooks experts who will help you resolve the error as quickly as they can. In most cases, you should be able to get back to working on your QuickBooks program after a single call with our team.