Move QuickBooks From Old Computer To A New Computer
Time to change your old computer? Hold on! What about your QuickBooks software? Well, changing your old computer means you are trying to move QuickBooks from an old computer to a new computer. This can be a stressful and important process.
If it is the same situation that you are in, we are going to help you out.
Move QuickBooks to a New Computer
Table of Contents
In this article, we will help you through the process of moving QuickBooks from an old computer to a new computer without hampering the data or creating any mess. So, stay tuned!
What Are The Requirements For Moving QuickBooks To A New Computer?
Moving QuickBooks to a new computer doesn’t require a huge list of things. It just requires a few basic things, which we have enlisted below. Continue reading to explore them –
- After completing the QuickBooks installation, you may need to enlist the software and ensure that the new system is connected to good internet services.
- You need to create a backup file before uninstalling the QuickBooks desktop from your old computer.
- Keeping the QuickBooks software installation disc or the setup file on an external device is also necessary.
- While moving the QB desktop, you must have the license and product registration information.
- You may also need an external storage device to store the QuickBooks desktop files.
- You will need a USB flash drive with sufficient free space to store QuickBooks files.
How To Move QuickBooks To A New Computer?
The quick steps to move your QuickBooks and its data from an old computer to a new computer are as follows:
Use QuickBooks Desktop Migrator Tool
If you need to move the QuickBooks desktop to a new computer, a migrator tool will help, or this can also be performed manually. The transfer procedure can be divided into two stages.
But, before proceeding, ensure that you have access to the admin user, as the steps can only be completed with the admin credentials. Continue reading to learn the steps for setting up and using the Migrator tool in QuickBooks.
Step 1: On Old Computer
- To begin, you must first download and save the QuickBooks Migrator tools to a USB flash drive.
- Connect the USB drive to the old system.
- Then, open QuickBooks and navigate to Files > Utilities > Transfer QuickBooks to another system.
- After that, select the “I’m Ready” option.
- Further, QuickBooks will prompt you to create a complex password to protect the company files on the USB flash drive. Remember, this is a one-time password, and you will need it when you connect a USB to the new system. So, make a note of the password to avoid any further hassle.
- Pay attention to the on-screen instructions, which will initiate the file copying process.
- It might take time for this process to complete, depending on the size of the company’s files.
Step 2: On New Computer
- Because of Windows security protocols, the migrator tool will not run automatically when you insert the USB drive, so you must run it manually.
- To begin using the migrator tool, open the flash drive and look for the Move QuickBooks.bat file, which should then be run.
- Later, enter the previously created one-time password and wait for the tool to finish the procedure.
- You should also go to the help tab and click on Register QuickBooks.
- To finish the registration, enter all the required information, such as your phone number, postal code, and license key.
QuickBooks Desktop Migration To New System – Manual Process
Users can manually transfer QuickBooks to a new system, which will move the majority of the QuickBooks data at once. The following are the steps involved in these processes:
Step 1: Create Backup Of The Company Files And QuickBooks License
- You are recommended to back up your QB company file and product license to an external storage device during this process.
- Then, install the latest version of QuickBooks
- Now, download and restore the backup file
- Once the data is successfully transferred, uninstall QuickBooks
Step 2: Restore Backup Of The Company Files On Your New Computer
- Install QuickBooks and then insert the storage device
- After that, open QuickBooks and navigate to the File menu
- Then, select the open and restore company option.
- Click on the restore a backup copy of QuickBooks company file option and then hit Next
- Now, select the local backup option and navigate to the backup file created in the previous system to restore the backup from the external device.
- Lastly, select a location in the new computer to save the backup file before clicking on the save tab.
Have you correctly implied all of the above-stated steps?
Get QuickBooks Migration Services by Certified QuickBooks Desktop Experts
Well, if yes, you are ready to begin using your QuickBooks accounting software on your new computer. Furthermore, you can get in touch with the QuickBooks support team for any issues or queries.