Convert Company File to New QuickBooks Desktop Version
QuickBooks is undoubtedly one of the best accounting software trusted by businesses worldwide. The software features modern tools and ways to maintain transactions of financial nature. QuickBooks often get updates that bring in new features and fix minor bugs present in the software.
How to Convert Company File to a New QuickBooks Desktop Version
There are many cases where users update the QuickBooks desktop software and leave the company file. However, it is essential to convert the company file to a new QuickBooks desktop version to avoid any hassle. This article will detail the steps you can use to convert a company file to a new QuickBooks desktop version.
Things To Know Before Converting QuickBooks Company File
There are certain things about company files that you must know before converting your QuickBooks company file. All these points must be accounted for before converting or upgrading the company file to avoid the hassle.
- Before converting or upgrading a company file, you must rebuild the integrity of your file.
- You can only update the company file using the admin user.
- All the enterprise company files will only work in the QuickBooks desktop enterprise edition.
- Once you have updated the company file, you will not be able to use the previous one.
- It is advised that you must not upgrade the company file over a network.
Once you have made all the arrangements, you can follow the steps mentioned below to convert the company file to a QuickBooks desktop version.
Steps to Convert Company File to a New QuickBooks Desktop Version
Step 1: Installing QuickBooks Desktop Version
Firstly you will have to install and upgrade the QuickBooks desktop version. To install QuickBooks:
- Open your Windows system and sign as admin user (company file can only be upgraded as an admin user)
- You must ensure that your computer system meets the minimum system requirements
- Download the latest version of your QuickBooks desktop version and install it
After downloading and successful installation of the new version of the QuickBooks desktop version, follow the second step mentioned below.
Step 2: Prepare the Company File
You must prepare the company file before upgrading. To prepare the company file, follow the steps below:
- Open the actual version of QuickBooks
- Locate and click on the company file you want to prepare and upgrade
- To open the product information window, press F2
- Look in the file section information.
- To prepare the company file for an upgrade, run the QuickBooks rebuild tool for the company file.
Step 3: Upgrade Company File
Once you open the company file for the first time in a newer version, you will be asked to upgrade the company file. To upgrade the company file,
- You must ensure that all the users are logged off the company file.
- Open the latest version of the QuickBooks desktop version that you have installed.
- If you do not have a company file open, select open or restore the company file. Alternatively, you can navigate to the File menu and open or restore the company.
- Under the open company file, click on the next option. If you have created a local backup of QuickBooks company file, you can select restore a backup copy and then local backup.
- Browse the system for the company file. Select the file and click open.
- You must sign in to the company file as an admin user.
- Before the upgrade process, QuickBooks will automatically create a company file backup. You can change the default location as per your need.
- Click on the update now option. As you will click, the upgrade process will begin.
- Click on done when the process is finished.
Also read how to create Backup of QuickBooks company file in 2022
Once done, you can open the company file in the newer version of the QuickBooks desktop. You must note that if you cannot find the company file, open the Windows Start Menu and search for the company file with the .qbw extension.
Step 4: Update QuickBooks Desktop
Lastly, you must update QuickBooks for the latest release after upgrading the company file to the newest version.
Contact QuickBooks Desktop Experts
If you face challenges while following the steps, you can reach out to the support team of QuickBooks for technical assistance. You can reach out to our QB desktop support experts on the toll-free helpline provided on the right top.