Backup Company File in QuickBooks Desktop
How to Backup Company File in QuickBooks Desktop?
Table of Contents
Backup Company File in QuickBooks Desktop is one of the most common support queries by QuickBooks desktop users. Also knowing how to backup company files in QuickBooks Desktop is one of those textbook best practices which every QuickBooks accountant must follow to avoid problems if your QuickBooks program malfunctions.
Performing a backup has evolved for small business accountants and business owners over time. Earlier local backups seemed like the only option but now we have cloud backups to make your Company file more accessible.
QuickBooks has also made backups easier by using the scheduled backup QuickBooks Tool which creates backup company file in QuickBooks Desktop automatically.
Let’s learn more about local backups and automatic backups to help you make the best choice for your QuickBooks desktop program and the steps for each of them.
Things to know before you create a Backup Company File in QuickBooks Desktop
- The backup will be stored on the chosen local hard drive, USB drive, or network drive.
- You can choose to have the date and time of backup included in the name of the backup file when you have several backups in the same location.
- You can choose to be reminded to manually backup the Company File every time you close it.
- If you save the backup file in the same location as your Company file then QuickBooks may warn you to choose another location. It is ideal to use a different location so if the drive where your company file is saved gets corrupted then the backup file will not be affected.
- Before creating a backup, QuickBooks will ask you to complete verification of the file to make sure the Company file is free of errors before you save it.
- If you are going to schedule automatic backups then you will require the administrator’s Username and Password for Windows. This will be different from your QuickBooks username and password. These credentials are required to authorize QuickBooks to automatically create and save a backup on the computer.
Note: The verification process creates a transaction log named the .tlg file. This file records changes made to your company file since the last backup. It can be useful in extreme cases when your company file gets corrupted and you are required to recover data from recent transactions.
How to manually create a Backup Company File in QuickBooks Desktop?
A manual backup can be created right before you start troubleshooting your QuickBooks desktop for problems.
If your company file has been working fine so far, then create a backup before you try to troubleshoot so that you can always fall back on the backup if the troubleshooting goes wrong.
It is useful because the latest backup will have all your latest transactions up until the problem showed up. A lot of solutions for errors on the QuickBooks desktop will begin by asking you to create a manual backup Company File in QuickBooks Desktop.
Steps for manual backup in QuickBooks:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and click on File
- Then select Save Copy or Backup
- This will open the backup window with options to save a backup file, a portable company file, and other options.
- Select the radio button next to Backup and click on Next
- In the next step, choose Local backup and click on Next
- The next window will have different options to Save now or schedule a backup. Choose to Save it now and click on Next to proceed
- In the next step, you will be asked to choose a location to store the backup of your Company File
- Click on Browse and choose the location to store your backup.
- The next few pieces of information on this window can be useful for future backups. We will leave it up to you to choose whether you want the date or time on the backup file, the limit for the number of backup copies in the folder, and a reminder for backing up the company file.
- The last part of this window will ask you to choose to verify the data on your company file. It is ideal to select Complete Verification and that’s what QuickBooks would recommend too.
- Click on OK after entering all information and your backup file will be saved. You will see a message on your screen confirming the same.
How to schedule Automatic Backups Company File in QuickBooks Desktop?
The process for scheduling a backup is much the same as manual backups till you arrive at the point where it asks you whether you want to save your backup now or you want to schedule future backups.
Benefits of automatic backup for QuickBooks Desktop
Setting up your company file for automatic backup in scheduled intervals can save time and effort and ensure that you always have a backup to rely on. It also solves the problem of forgetting to backup your company file. So you don’t have to set up reminders on your phone or the calendar to remember backing up the file.
Steps to schedule an automatic backup:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and Click on File
- Select Save Copy or Backup
- Then click on the radio button next to Backup Copy and click on Next
- You will be asked to enter the location where you want to save the backup. Click on Browse and choose whether you want to add the time and date on the name of the backup file and the maximum number of backup files that can be stored in the folder. You can also choose if you want to be reminded to create a backup when you close the company file.
- The last step on this screen will ask you to choose to verify the data on your company file. Choose Complete Verification which is the recommended option and then click OK to proceed.
- In the next window, Click on either Save it now and schedule future backup if you don’t have a current backup of your company file or Only schedule future backups if you already have a current backup of your company file. Then click on Next.
- Choose the frequency of the backup, confirm the location, enter the maximum number of backup copies to be kept in the folder, enter the time and day when you want to save the backup, and choose how often you want QuickBooks to run this task along with the day of the week when the backup should be created.
- Click on Store Password and enter your Windows username and password which has admin rights. Then click on OK.
- The next window will show you the backup schedule along with the date of the next scheduled backup. If you want to make changes, you can click on Back and make changes. If you are happy with the schedule, then click on Finish to complete scheduling automatic backups on QuickBooks desktop.
- You will see a message on the screen confirming the same.
Contact Our Service Desk
If the above-provided guide does not help you with creating a Backup Company File in QuickBooks Desktop. Contact QuickBooks Desktop Support Experts at +1888-300-6790 For QuickBooks Company File Backup Related Issues